6 November 2015

the latter months

We’re currently in my favourite time of year. Approaching winter, approaching my birthday, approaching christmas.
The cold, harsh winds that kiss your face as you step out every morning - still trying to dress for summer, hiding the jumper until you can acceptably bring out your favourite christmas jumper. The nights become dark, for a while it messes with your mind it’s 3pm but the sun is setting so maybe i’ve wasted the day and it’s actually 7pm, but when you adjust it just creates a better feeling, a sort of cosiness ignored by summer.
There’s less light in the day but doesn’t that just make it. . .cosier? It’s so much more appropriate to sit in bed and watch netflix whilst drinking copious amounts of hot chocolate.
The looming thoughts of christmas and celebrating the new year, what will it bring? where will it take me?
Maybe it’s only the beginning of November but I’m already planning the beginning of 2016.
The rain turns cold, or more than cold, and you know you’re hitting the final weeks of the year - the most exciting ones.
Perhaps your favourite time of the year says a lot about you, maybe it’s more than just preference.
As christmas lights appear in every city and town centre, the hopes for a white christmas come to mind but knowing it’s never going to happen.
November babies can probably relate to the struggle that is a birthday not quite close enough to christmas but not quite far enough away. Being born just a month before christmas eve I always feel slightly too close to christmas, I kind of wish there was longer because birthdays and christmas are my two favourite things and I wish I got more time to enjoy both. Regardless - I love both.
We all know that Buble and Mariah come out to play now and, as much as we laugh and make fun of it, we all secretly love dancing around the house to those cheesy christmas songs as soon as we can. People keep saying christmas comes earlier each year but is anyone complaining?! 
For me, christmas is such a family-orientated time and I couldn’t be without the routine my family have for presents, christmas breakfast, christmas dinner and family-game-night in the evening. I love how, even though I have an insanely close family, we feel so connected over the holiday period.
I love the bare trees, maybe autumn is prettier but winter feels more real.
The weather is colder and so often, the people are too but throughout winter we are blessed with small joys and little things to keep the happiness up.
The wins we have created through the year cannot be over shadowed as we look towards the future, towards the joys of next year.
Maybe it’s slightly too early to be writing about the new year but trust me there are plenty more to come because I can never quite express my love for the November-February period.
- and some motivation should you need it - “November. Another chance to start on something new.” -